Monday 2 January 2012

Indigo road trip continues....

Heading into Beechworth ia like stepping back in time. I don't think I have ever arrived into a town and fallen in love with it so easily. It is regarded as Victoria's best preserved gold mining town and the streets are lined with many houses and buildings that are well preserved.....it is just stunning!!!!

We camped at Lake Sambell Caravan Park on the river....
Beechworth Town.....the main intersection.


We found this great cartoon shop on one of the side streets called SPLAToons - Cartoons and Caricatures and the kids had a cartoon of themselves drawn on a WANTED poster.....


Beechworth Honey was another interesting stop......here they are watching a video of the importance of bees and honey......

The Ovens Goldfields Hospital below was opened in 1857 and closed and dismantled in 1940. The facade was renovated by the Lions Club of Beechworth in 1966.

My circus girl.....

High Tea (or Chai in our case) was a yummy break from the wanderings at the Old School Building which was built in 1864.....



and of course a touch of shopping....I found two copies of the vintage Golden Hands craft magazine to add to my collection in the local op shop....Rani and I chose a book each at the fantastic local book shop.....a few retro coasters and a new dress......oh and that flowery thing under the coasters is a new shop bell for Indigo Inspirations in Mullumbimby for next year.

Our next stop is Anglesea on the Great Ocean Road.....can't wait....
How is it going where you are?
Lots of love xox Jo

3 comments:

  1. Beechworth is one of my favourite towns too. It is just 45 mins away from me. I love going there and visiting the lolly shop and the bakery. There is a good Ned Kelly museum there too.
    I love all the old buildings.
    Glad you enjoyed your stay. Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one of my favourite places to visit too, as we travel to Lismore every few years. And we camped at Lake Sambell too!! It's beautiful isn't it?

    We all had a swim there (in lieu of a bath!) and enjoyed a hot night sleeping on the roofs of our cars - bliss!! Ooooh, I'm just a bit envious... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying the chronicles of your travels Jo. Lovely weather here at home, not hot like Vic has been, having, cool cardi wearing mornings, then pleasantly warm days. I've been busy stitching with your delicious felt :)

    ReplyDelete